Travel Consent Forms

Travel Consent Forms in Ontario

If you are separated or divorced and are traveling abroad with your children several documents may be necessary in order for your children to gain entry into the destined country. Such documents may include a birth certificate, a passport, any legal document that pertains to custody, and a travel consent letter in which the non traveling parent consents to the children traveling with the other. The travel consent letter must be signed, dated, and witnessed by the non traveling parent.  It is for this reason that we strongly recommend a travel consent letter if you are separated or divorced and you intend to travel with your children outside of Canada. Generally, you should obtain a travel consent letter from any person that has been granted authority to make final decisions that pertain to your children. You do not want to commence your travels only to be turned around at the border because you did not have a travel consent letter with you at the time.

Typically, a travel consent letter contains information that includes who the parents of the children are, whether the non traveling parent consents to the travel, in which country the travel is expected to occur, the travel departure date as well as the return date, the location that the children will be residing while away, any available phone number(s) or other contact number(s) of the location that the children will be residing, and the phone number(s) of the non traveling parent so that he or she may be contacted to confirm the travel consent form if necessary. We advise our clients to have the consent letter certified, stamped, or sealed by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration (ie. lawyer) so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned.